Advice and Support for Victims and Witnesses

Reporting a crime

In an emergency, please call 999.

For non-urgent calls, please ring 101 or visit Report a Crime or Incident online to view other ways you can report a crime to us.

What to Expect

Being a victim of a crime can be a distressing experience; the information in this section and the following links are available to help and guide you through the Criminal Justice process.  

For more details about what you can expect from us and our partner criminal justice agencies, please have a read through the Information for Victims of Crime leaflet.

Our Commitment to You

We are committed to supporting victims and witnesses of crime and providing the best possible service at all times. 

Support for victims and witnesses

Lancashire Victim Services (LVS) has been established by Lancashire Police and Crime Commissioner Clive Grunshaw to provide support to victims and witnesses of crime across the county.

If you have been a victim or have witnessed a crime, even if you haven’t reported it, the service is here to support you. LVS provide emotional support, information and practical help to anyone who needs it.

The Witness Care Unit

The Government introduced Witness Care Units (WCUs) across England and Wales to help improve the experiences of victims and witnesses of crime as they became involved in the Criminal Justice System. These units are run by Police and Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) staff, in joint partnership.

In Lancashire the WCUs are split into two. The CPS WCU is based at Preston and deals with offences that occurred in the Leyland, Preston, Chorley and Skelmersdale areas of Lancashire.

The police staffed WCU is based in Chorley and deals with all the other cases in Lancashire.

The units are a single point of contact for all victims and witnesses, and are there to provide support and information from the first hearing of a case in the Magistrates Court through to the conclusion of the case. Find out more about Witness Care Units in Lancashire

Lancashire PCC’s Commitment to Victims of Crime

Lancashire’s Police and Crime Commissioner Clive Grunshaw has a clear commitment to championing victims’ rights and ensuring vulnerable people are supported.

For further information please read the PCC’s victims’ and witnesses’ strategy.

Restorative Justice

If you have been a victim of crime or anti-social behaviour you could ask to take part in Restorative Justice.  Restorative Justice seeks to bring all parties involved in an incident together to play a part in repairing the harm caused and find a positive way forward.  It can be used in a wide range of cases from low level offending to grave and serious crimes.

For more information please see Restorative Justice or the national restorative justice website.

Victim’s Right to Review

The Victim’s Right to Review (VRR) allows victims of crime to request a review of a police or a CPS decision not to prosecute a suspect.  It applies to charging decisions made on or after 1 April 2015, for cases where a suspect has been interviewed under caution. 

The request for a review must be made within 3 months of the victim being informed of the decision not to prosecute.

If your case is one that the police could charge but decided not to, or where the police decided not to refer a case to CPS for a charging decision, please write to The Head of Criminal Justice, PO Box 77, Preston, Lancashire PR4 5SB or via [email protected]

If your case was referred to the CPS for a charging decision and the CPS decided not to proceed with the prosecution, please see CPS VRR Leaflet.

Contacting an officer

If you need to contact the officer who is dealing with your case, please click on Contact an Officer.

Domestic Abuse

Domestic Abuse is threatening behaviour, violence or abuse that takes place between adults who are partners (or ex-partners) or family members and can be physical abuse, sexual abuse, financial abuse or emotional abuse. For more information, please see our Domestic Abuse pages

Domestic Abuse Disclosure Scheme

If you are concerned about the possible violent or abusive history of your partner or the partner of someone you know, you can request information from the police through the Domestic Abuse Disclosure Scheme.  For more information, please see our Domestic Abuse Disclosure Scheme pages

Rape and Sexual Assault

For more information on rape and sexual assault, and support services, please see our Rape and Sexual Assault pages.

Forced Marriage and Honour Based Violence

For more information on forced marriage and honour based violence, and support services, please see Forced Marriage and Honour Based Violence pages.

Stalking and Harassment

1 in 5 women and 1 in 10 men are stalked at some point in their life; for more information, please see our Stalking and Harassment.

Hate Crime

A hate crime is a crime that is targeted at a person or their property because of their disability, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or transgender identity.  For more information, please see our Hate Crime pages.

Rate this page