Lancashire Constabulary Logo

Parking Issues

Any person can park their vehicle on a public road provided that the vehicle is taxed and insured and is not in contravention of any parking restriction or other laws. In circumstances where a vehicle is legally parked outside your property or is preventing you from parking where you would like to park the police cannot take any action.

Parking issues are handled by a mixture of local highway authority and police powers, depending on the situation.

Your local council will deal with parking issues covering:

  • Limited waiting bays
  • Double / single yellow lines
  • On-street pay & display bays
  • Residents' parking zones or permit holders' only zones
  • Blue badge (disabled) bays
  • Loading bays
  • Bus stops clearways
  • Taxi bays
  • School keep clears
  • Clearways
  • Dropped kerb access
  • Double parking
  • Pedestrian crossings
  • Council-owned car parks
  • Double parking - vehicle parked over 50 centimetres from the kerb

You can contact your local council through their website:

As a police force, we will deal with parking issues that cover:

  • Double white lines
  • Obstruction, this may include pavement parking
  • Dangerous parking, this may include pavement parking
  • Bends
  • Brows of hills
  • Dropped kerb access (as well as the council)
  • Parking within 10m of junctions
  • Double parking (as well as the council)
  • One-way traffic
  • Box junctions
  • Access only (unless access to premises is required)
  • White hatched areas
  • Pedestrian crossings (as well as the council)

To report parking issues you can either contact us on our online reporting site and tick the box for general enquiries, or via telephone by calling 101.