New Application Forms
New forms to replace the current Shotgun and Firearms and Referee Forms commenced on 12 January 2018.
The form 201 encompasses the Shotgun, Firearm and Referee form on a single application and 201a provides guidance. New forms to replace the current shotgun and firearms and referee forms commenced on 12 January 2018.
With effect from 10 June 2019, the Registered Firearms Dealer Forms (116 and 116A) should be used for all relevant applications. Any old forms used after this date will not be accepted.
- Important information regarding medical information to be provided with effect from 1 September 2019
- Letter to GP requesting medical report to be provided
- Application for Firearms and Shotgun Certificate
- Firearms licence co-residence form
- Variation Form
- Application Form Notes
- Visitors Firearm Application Form
- Application for Registration, or for new Certificate of Registration as 'Registered Firearms Dealer' 116
- Notification by RFD of a place of business not already entered in the register (additional trading premises) 116A
- Application for an Explosives Certificate ER4
- Application for a Storage Licence under the Explosives Regulations ER2
- Application for an Explosives Certificate ER 4a
- Application for Renewal of an Explosive Certificate for black powder to be used in Firearms ER 4b
Firearms Licence - Good Reason
An applicant for a firearm certificate needs to demonstrate "good reason" for the weapons requested. In the case of target shooting, "good reason" can only be satisfied by the applicant being a full and active member of a Home Office approved club (probationary membership is not acceptable), and the club must be approved for the use of the firearms requested in the application.
Please complete the Form for Good Reason if you are applying for a Firearms Certificate.
Relevant form(s) should be downloaded/printed. Once completed, please post direct to the following address:
Firearms & Explosives Licensing Unit
P.O. Box 77
Email address for queries: [email protected]
Applications for Home Office Approved Shooting Clubs
Following the successful pilot project for online shooting clubs, all applications for approval (new or renewal) should be submitted directly to the Home Office, via the web portal, from Monday 11 June 2018. This applies to all clubs in England and Wales. Applications will only be accepted by the Home Office, and should no longer be sent directly to the police.
Once you have submitted your application, the Home Office will review it and pass it to the local police force, who will then make enquiries before sending the application back to the Home Office. If you do not provide sufficient information or supporting evidence, the Home Office may reject your application and invite you to resubmit it.
Before applying you must ensure that you fulfil the criteria as set out in the Home Office Clubs’ Criteria leaflet. Renewals cost £84 and are valid for 6 years. You should apply to renew your approval at least 3 months before it’s due to expire.