There are strict alcohol limits for drivers, but it’s impossible to say exactly how many drinks this equals - it’s different for each person.
Level of alcohol
- Micrograms per 100 millilitres of breath – 35
- Milligrammes per 100 millilitres of blood – 80
- Milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine – 107
You could be sent to prison, banned from driving and face a fine if you’re found guilty of drink-driving.
Causing death by careless driving when under the influence of drink
You may get:
- 14 years’ imprisonment
- an unlimited fine
- a ban from driving for at least 2 years
- an extended driving test before your licence is returned
**If you are driving, the safest thing to do is to not have any alcohol.
The way alcohol affects you depends on:
- your weight, age, sex and metabolism (the rate your body uses energy)
- the type and amount of alcohol you’re drinking
- what you’ve eaten recently
- your stress levels at the time
The potentially devastating consequences of drink driving go far beyond the law. Watch this video from Think! It might make you think twice before having a drink and getting behind the wheel.