I am experiencing problems parking, what can I do about it?

Anyone can park their vehicle on a public road as long as it is taxed and insured and isn't breaking any law or parking restriction.

It isn't illegal for someone to park their vehicle outside your property so in these circumstances the police will be unable to help.

Parking issues are handled by a mixture of local highway authority and police powers, depending on the situation.

Councils deal with parking issues covering:

  • Limited waiting bays
  • Double / single yellow lines
  • On-street pay & display bays
  • Residents' parking zones or permit holders' only zones
  • Blue badge (disabled) bays
  • Loading bays
  • Bus stop clearways
  • Taxi bays
  • School keep clears
  • Clearways
  • Dropped kerb access
  • Double parking
  • Pedestrian crossings
  • Council-owned car parks
  • Double parking - vehicle parked over 50 centimetres from the kerb

Who to contact with any parking issues

For parking problems in Lancaster, South Ribble, or Wyre contact Lancashire County Council.

For other areas contact your local council:



We deal with parking issues that cover:

  • Double white lines
  • Obstruction, this may include pavement parking
  • Dangerous parking, this may include pavement parking
  • Bends
  • Brows of hills
  • Dropped kerb access (as well as the council)
  • Parking within 10m of junctions
  • Double parking (as well as the council)
  • One-way traffic
  • Box junctions
  • Access only (unless access to premises is required)
  • White hatched areas
  • Pedestrian crossings (as well as the council)

To report parking issues you can either contact us on our online reporting site and tick the box for general enquiries, or via telephone by calling 101.

Rate this page