Solicitors, Insurance Companies & Governing Bodies (CLPD)

Insurance Companies

How do I apply for disclosure from the Police?

There are 3 routes:

  1. The MOU (memorandum of understanding) with NPCC (National Police Chief's Council) and the ABI (Association of British Insurers) – see below for further information.
  2. Apply for RTC information (3rd party details and the incident log) where it has been damage only.
  3. Apply for RTC information (accident report) where an injury has been sustained

1) MOU between NPCC (formerly ACPO) and the ABI

What is the memorandum of understanding (MOU) between NPCC (formerly ACPO) and the ABI?

This is an agreement for the exchange of information when an insurance company has a specific reason to check a claim or they suspect that a fraudulent claim is being made.

Insurance companies need be a member of the ABI to apply.

Which forms should be used to apply?

Appendix D (a) – this form should be used when the insurance company wishes to obtain confirmation of the following information about the incident

  • reference number
  • date and time the offence was reported
  • aggrieved/reporting person
  • crime report/incident log

Appendix E – this form should be used when insurance companies can provide sufficient information to prove that a claim is fraudulent.  

Please see the forms library at the right hand side of this page for a copy of the application forms for download

What is the charge for requests?

£137.30 - Appendix D (a)
No charge  - Appendix E

An invoice will be sent upon receipt of completed application forms and confirmation that the information is available. Please do not make payment until you are in receipt of our unique reference number.

The payment for any disclosure request covers the necessary searches and provision of information.

Where can I find further information?

Please visit the ABI website for a copy of the agreement. Type, ‘ACPO’ in the search box at the top of the screen.

Where do I send completed MOU Forms to?

Lancashire Constabulary
Insurance Requests
Saunders Lane

For further details please contact us at [email protected].

(2)    Third Party Details Requests / Non-Injury RTC Information

**Insurance companies ONLY – Solicitors should apply using the Civil Disclosures Form – see below for further information**

‘Accident reports’ are only available if it is recorded as an injury RTA.  Please note: if an injury has not been reported to the police at the time of the accident or within 30 days it will be recorded as ‘damage only’ and disclosure of this incident log should be requested via the below process.  It is therefore advisable to only apply for non-injury RTC information 30 days from the date of the incident.

How much does it cost to apply for this information?

£35.20 – Third party details only

Please make cheques payable to PCC Lancashire.

The payment for this disclosure request covers the necessary searches and provision of limited particulars i.e. name and address of drivers and owners (if different) and registration mark of vehicles where known.

All requests relating to a damage only RTC must be in writing by email or post to:

Email: [email protected]

Postal address:
Lancashire Constabulary
Central Process Unit 
PO Box 1329

(3) Accident Reports – Where Injury Has Been Sustained

**Insurance companies AND Solicitors**

‘Accident Reports’ are only available if it is recorded as an injury collision.

  • £35.20 – limited particulars
  • £99.00 – abstract of police report, statements from witnesses (with consent)

All requests must be in writing by email or post to:

Email: [email protected]

Postal address:
Lancashire Constabulary
Central Process Unit 
PO Box 1329


Civil Disclosures

Applications for disclosure of information relating to civil cases are considered on a case by case basis and are only accepted from solicitors. These may, for example relate to recovering the costs for damage from a road traffic collision. An application form and fee is required for these disclosures.

The ‘Statement Regarding the Disclosure and Charging Under Civil Disclosures' contains further details regarding charging and this, along with the Civil Disclosures Application Form, can be found in the forms library at the side of this page.

For further details please contact us at [email protected]

Family Court Disclosures

Where police information is required specifically for family court proceedings, private and local authority solicitors may apply to the police. 

The disclosure of relevant information may be made where consideration is being given by the courts to children being taken into care or custody/access rights following divorce. An application form and a fee is required from a solicitor before consideration is given to any disclosure.

Please find a copy of the Lancashire family court protocol and the private solicitor application form in the forms library at the top of this page. 

For further details please contact us at [email protected].

Rate this page