Fans sentenced for disorder

Friday, September 3, 2021

Nine football fans have been jailed for almost 20 years for their part in widespread disorder at a Burnley pub.


On Saturday, December 14, 2019, Burnley FC and Newcastle United FC played in a Premier League match at Turf Moor, Burnley.


At 4.25pm, around half an hour before the game was due to end, two Newcastle United fans, Peter Wakenshaw, 51 and Darren Wade, 49, entered the Turf Hotel in Yorkshire Street.


The pair began singing songs related to Newcastle United in the middle of the pub, chanting and raising their arms in the air. The men were asked to leave, with Wade forced out of the pub. Wakenshaw was punched and had a bar stool thrown at him before leaving.


The men gestured from the doorway towards those inside before leaving with a third man.


A few minutes later, Douglas Waugh, 53, a Newcastle United supporter, entered the bar. He gestured towards people behind him before a large group of men entered the pub causing large-scale disorder.


One fan was seen on CCTV holding a pool cue as a weapon, with the group’s behaviour including inciting and encouraging disorder, violence and using bar furniture and stools as weapons.


Around 4.35pm the group made off from the scene, with police called.


Following a review of the evidence, as well as working with the clubs involved, the offenders were soon identified.


All those involved pleaded guilty and were sentenced at Preston Crown Court.


PC Dan Fish, of Lancashire Police, said: “The actions of these men were violent, aggressive and extremely reckless.


“The group effectively stormed the Turf Hotel, a well-known pub for Burnley fans, before making off from the scene having left a trail of destruction.


“I’ve no doubt Wakenshaw and Wade first entered the bar looking to cause trouble. Having been ejected they returned with a group of fans looking for a fight.


“These sentences are a timely reminder to the small number of people intent on causing trouble there is no place for this type of behaviour.


“We can, and will, bring those responsible for such behaviour to justice and hope to bring an end to all football related violence.


“Families and true supporters want to follow their teams without the fear of trouble and violence.”


Detective Inspector Gill Beecroft, of Northumbria Police, said: “While the overwhelming majority of fans who travelled down to Burnley behaved impeccably, the actions of a minority were totally unacceptable. 


“Our dedicated football intelligence unit has worked hand-in-hand with our colleagues at Lancashire Constabulary in order to identify those responsible and I am pleased these individuals have now been brought to justice. 


“I hope this outcome acts as a lesson to any supporter who intends to cause trouble on match days. 


“Football fans in the North East are among the most passionate and knowledgeable in the entire country, and I’m proud that in recent years we have worked very closely with supporter groups, clubs and other partners across our region.  


“We look forward to building on that positive relationship and strong understanding throughout the 2021/22 season.” 


Sentencing details;


Craig Heward, 39, Barton Close, Wallsend, North Tyneside - 25 months imprisonment and eight year football banning order.


Brian Hindmarch, 52, Leam Lane Estate, Gateshead - 25 months imprisonment and six year football banning order.


Peter Wakenshaw, 51, Muswell Hill, Scotswood, Newcastle - 27 months imprisonment with a six year football banning order.


Michael O’Brien, 55, Beresford Gardens, Byker, Newcastle – two years jail and a six year football banning order


Nicolas Henderson, 52, The Birches, Sunniside, Gateshead - 28 months imprisonment with an eight year football banning order.


Thomas Young, 53, The Haven, Newbiggin-by-the-Sea – will be sentenced in January


Douglas Waugh, 53, Stoneleigh Avenue, Longbenton, North Tyneside - 19 months imprisonment with a six year football banning order.


Darren Wade, 49, Druridge House, North Shields - 18 months imprisonment with a six year football banning order.


Michael Maylia, 54, Coniston, Gateshead - 19 months imprisonment and six year football banning order.


Anthony Smith, 57, Burn Gardens, Easington - 24 months imprisonment with a seven year football banning order.


Luke Smith, 20, Quarry Road, Sunderland - 18 months imprisonment, suspended for two years, 200 hours community service, four-month electronic monitored curfew between the hours of 19:30-06:00 hours and a three-year football banning order.

From L-R Top row - Brian Hindmarch, Craig Heward, Darren Wade, Anthony Smith, Douglas Waugh

Bottom row - Michael Maylia, Michael O'Brien, Nicholas Henderson, Peter Wakenshaw

Related News

There are no related articles.

Rate this page