A MAN has been charged following a collision which left a youngster seriously injured.
We were called to Newchurch Road, Bacup at 6.35pm on Thursday (June 24) to reports an eight-year-old boy on a toy scooter had been struck by a grey BMW while on a crossing. The driver of the BMW failed to stop at the scene.
The boy, who is from Bacup, was taken to Manchester Children’s Hospital with serious head injuries. He remains in a poorly condition.
A man was arrested over the weekend and has now been charged.
Anthony McKenna, 34, of Newchurch Road in Bacup is charged with
- Drive a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road / in a public place without due care and attention
- Cause serious injury by driving whilst disqualified
- Use a motor vehicle on a road / public place without third party insurance
- Driver of a vehicle fail to stop after a road accident
- Driver of a vehicle involved in a road accident fail to report that accident
- Drive whilst disqualified
- Aggravated vehicle taking
He is due to appear before Blackburn Magistrates’ Court this morning (Monday, June 28th)
Police would like to thank those who have come forward with information so far. Anyone else with information is asked to call police on 101, quoting log 1257 of June 24, 2021.