Detectives are continuing their investigation after three men were shot at an address in Skelmersdale yesterday (Tuesday).
The incident occurred at around 1.30pm at an address on Belfield.
We attended and found three men, aged 46, 45 and 21, had been injured. One of them had suffered an injury to his chest and arm, one had suffered an injury to his back and one had suffered an injury to his wrist.
All three were taken to hospital, where they remain in a stable condition awaiting surgery.
It is believed a lone male, dressed in dark clothing and wearing a face covering, had entered the house and fired the shots before making off.
An investigation is now underway and detectives are continuing to appeal for information from members of the public.
Detective Chief Inspector Richard McCutcheon, who is leading the investigation, said: “It goes without saying that this incident could have resulted in fatalities, and our investigation is very much ongoing to find the person or people responsible.
“We are in the early stages but we are following up several lines of enquiry, while firearms experts remain at the scene today carrying out enquiries into the type of weapon used.
“We are asking anybody who witnessed the incident, or who saw anyone matching the above description in the area, to contact us as soon as possible. Similarly we would ask anybody with information about it, or who has overheard someone talking about it, to get in touch.
“If you have information and you wish to report it confidentially you can contact Crimestoppers – an independent organisation – or you can speak to us and tell us you wish to remain anonymous.
“Clearly this type of incident is unacceptable and will not be tolerated in Lancashire and we are determined to do everything to establish who is behind it.”
We have also increased patrols in the area and have deployed extra specialist resources, such as armed officers.
Chief Inspector Ian Jones, of Skelmersdale Police, said: “We know this will have caused a lot of concern in the area but we would like to reassure residents that we are treating this attack as targeted and do not believe there is any wider threat to the public.
“However we have placed extra officers in the area and will continue to do so for as long as we feel is necessary. The officers are there for reassurance and we’d urge you to speak to them if you have any questions, concerns or information.”
A section 60 was in place last night as a direct result of this incident. The order will be put in place again tonight, covering the areas shown on the map, between 3pm today and 3am tomorrow (Thursday).
The powers allow us to search people and vehicles without suspicion and are used to prevent crime and disorder, and keep local people safe and feeling safe.
More information on section 60 orders can be found here: https://www.lancashire.police.uk/help-advice/stop-and-search/section-60-without-suspicion-searches/
Anyone with information about this incident should call police on 101 quoting log 622 of October 15th. Alternatively independent charity Crimestoppers can be reached on 0800 555 111 or online at crimestoppers-uk.org