Follow this advice to keep your smart phones, laptops, tablets and other devices safe:
- Keep it with you at all times and never leave unattended especially when out and about.
- Always lock your phone with a PIN code.
- Consider taking out mobile phone insurance.
- Download a Find My Phone App to protect your phone and the personal information held on it, the small cost is nothing compared to the loss.
- Don’t use it unnecessarily at night as the bright screen will be more visible to a thief.
- Register your phone, laptop or other device at Immobilise.
Always keep a note of these details about your phone.
- The make and model
- Your phone number
- The serial/IMEI number - This is the 15-digit number which helps to identify your phone. It can be accessed by keying in #06# into most phones or by looking behind the battery of your phone
- PIN number
- If your phone is stolen or lost, block it immediately across all networks by phoning your network provider or Immobilise on 0870 1123123 if you’ve registered.
- Back up your phone's data, for example your contact list, photographs using cloud based storage or on a portable device.
- Don't keep personal information such as bank details, home address or other data on your phone that be used by criminals to commit identity fraud.
- Be careful when charging your phone on someone else's computer or at a charge point. A lot of phones combine a data connection with the charger so you could end up having your data stolen without realising it.