How can I protect my perimeter?
The best way to keep your perimeter boundaries in good order is regular maintenance and inspection.
- Keep hedges, fences and gates in good repair.
- Field-gate hinges should be the capped or inverted type to prevent easy removal.
- Mark gates to make them unique to your farm.
- Don't assume that more permanent boundaries such as ditches, dry stone walls or other physical features are more secure, all of these can be breached by the determined criminal.
- Gates that are locked with good quality chains or padlocks are more difficult to steal.
If gates or fences have been tampered with contact the police using our online form or by telephone on 101.