How can I protect my perimeter?
The best way to keep your perimeter boundaries in good order is regular maintenance and inspection.
- Keep hedges, fences and gates in good repair.
- Field-gate hinges should be the capped or inverted type to prevent easy removal.
- Mark gates to make them unique to your farm.
- Don't assume that more permanent boundaries such as ditches, dry stone walls or other physical features are more secure, all of these can be breached by the determined criminal.
- Gates that are locked with good quality chains or padlocks are more difficult to steal.