Who needs to register as a Foreign National?

If you are a foreign national, you may need to register with us shortly after you arrive. If this is the case, it should be written on your entry-visa vignette (an extra page stuck in your passport), biometric residence permit (BRP) or your Home Office letter approving your application for leave to enter. You may also receive this information via email.

Find out more below about who needs to register with us, who is exempt and how to get a Police Registration Certificate (PRC).


If you do not register with the Police when you are required to do so, that is an offence under Section 26(1) (f) of the Immigration Act 1971.

Your current or any further application for stay in the UK could also be affected.

Rate this page