It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas... and as the party season gets into full swing we thought we would take the opportunity to offer some tips to make sure you get home safely
- If you are going out and drinking, plan how you are going to get home #dontdrinkdrive
- Try to keep to busy well-lit areas, don’t take short cuts and walk away from bushes and buildings
- Plan ahead and save a taxi number to your phone, check public transport or agree which one of your friends will be a #designateddriver
- Where possible, don’t walk alone after dark. Take someone you know with you and always walk facing oncoming traffic
- Never accept lifts from strangers
- When telephoning for a taxi, ask for the driver’s name and check this when he/she arrives
- To avoid delay, have your keys ready when you are approaching your car or home.
Don't drive when under the influence of drink or drugs
- You could be over the limit many hours after your last drink, even if it is the morning after. Sleep, coffee and cold showers don't help to sober you up. Time is the only way to get alcohol out of your system
- Don't accept a lift from a driver who you know has been drinking alcohol
- Don't offer an alcoholic drink to someone you know is planning to drive
- Don't take drugs and drive - it's now illegal to drive with with certain drugs about a specific level in your system - police can now drug driving roadside tests to check for cannabis, cocaine and some prescription drugs.
If you are concerned for your or someone else's safety or if you know someone who is driving under the influence of drink or drugs do the right think and call us on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.